Friday, October 16, 2009

Gay Marriage and the Schools

If you don't know it, Gay Marriage is on the November ballot here in Maine. I am not sure how anyone could have missed it. Every time you turn on the radio or the TV there are ad's either pro or con. Emotions are high on both sides and we have been inundated with more information and assaults than I needed, or wished, to hear.

I believe in the Biblical mandate for marriage; a man and a woman. The very fact that I would write such a thing probably angers some. The scripture declares that there are absolutes, there are rights and wrongs that do not change with the whims of society. Gay marriage, according to the word of God, is wrong. For me there is no argument. (By the way, I am allowed by Constitutional guarantee to believe that and express it, no mater what the outcome of the vote. And those who disagree have the same right and I would not deny them that right.)

The thing that really has gotten me is the school issue. The argument has been couched as a matter of respect for unique "Maine families." In other words, families with Gay and Lesbian parents.

I have been commanded to "love my neighbor." It would be wrong to be unkind, ungodly and un-Christ-like, to people whose lives and choices are different than mine. This doesn't mean I can't disagree agreeably with what some choose. That is one of the privileges of being a citizen of the US. It also means that views other than mine should not be forced on me anymore than I have the right to force people to become followers of Christ.

But, isn't the role of the schools to teach reading, writing, math, language and the like, to our children? It is not the role of schools to teach a definition of Marriage. That is the job of the home. Yes, I believe people should be treated respectfully, that is not the question. The question is what should we teach in our schools.

I hold a "Christian world view." It is not allowed to be taught in public schools. I'm OK with that. But don't give someone else the right to promote a "world view" in our schools when others, like Christians, are denied that same opportunity.

I have heard some of our kids read, many of them can't. I have talked to some of our kids about basic US history. It's disturbing to talk with kids who cannot tell you who Dred Scott was or what Thomas Jefferson did. It's time to teach "reading, writing and arithmetic" and let the "world views"be taught at home, remembering to always treat others with respect no matter where they come from. Jesus said, "Do unto to others as you would have them do unto you."

Let schools be schools!

1 comment:

  1. Gay Marriage does not mean teaching marriage in schools. That is a lie. I thought christians were supposed to tell the truth.

    You might want to consider that the schools should also be teaching that separation of church and state is essential to democracy.

    ReplyDelete