Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Prayer for one Another

It's been a while since I have written a blog. There is has been very little response to most of what I have written. And that's OK. It remains a forum for me to share my thoughts and hear yours.

I once heard a Preacher say that "prayer is not just a thing, it is the main thing." In churches we have so many priorities. We must evangelize, that is share with people the love of Christ and how He can change their lives to something better. There is the priority of fellowship, for Christians to know and love each other. There is a priority of Bible study, knowing and applying accurately the principles of God's word to life. There is always some priority that calls to us.

The Preacher was right. Prayer must be our real priority. Out of prayer we discover what God's priorities are. Out of prayer our evangelism is enhanced. Out of prayer our fellowship grows. Out of prayer we understand more clearly the scripture. It begins and ends with prayer.

Recently I felt led of God to devote one day a week to praying. It has been both uplifting and a struggle. It has been uplifting that because I sense the empowerment of God in my life loosed by prayer. But it has also been a struggle. A couple of things come to mind here. First, it's a struggle to keep less important items on my agenda from taking priority over my prayer time. Secondly, it has challenged me to look more deeply at my own commitment and begin to deal with my own inconsistencies in my walk with God.

How important is prayer to you? Are you willing to spend a day with God? We all have jobs and responsibilities, I am not suggesting that people quit their jobs to pray. Rather, take some time during your day, perhaps lunch or your break, and spend time praying for God's direction and leadership in your life. Ask God to reveal areas where you need to grow. Ask God to challenge you to become more like Him.

Prayer is not just a thing, it is the main thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment