Monday, July 26, 2010

Just thinking of Dad...



As some of you know, my Dad was a Submariner. He served the navy on several boats including the Nautilus, the Cobbler, the Skipjack, the Dolphin, and the George Bancroft, to name a few. In 1963 Dad had been transferred to the USS Thresher. However, he never served aboard her because he had not yet finished Sub School in Groton, Connecticut. But he was to report to the Thresher as soon he finished.

On April 10th, 1963, the Thresher was lost. All 129 hands perished.

Dad would have been aboard, but God had other plans for his life. That his life had been spared was something I know he never forgot. In may ways it became a driving force in his life to live for Jesus. And because of that determination Dad was able to share Jesus with many sailors, many of whom came to know Christ as Savior.

Every now then I hear from someone who served with Dad in the Navy. They usually say two things about him; 1) He was a man of integrity that you never had to guess his opinion, and 2)He was a man whose faith defined him.

The first was true because of the second. Dad's faith did define him.

Recently I received an email from an old shipmate from the Cobbler...


Hi Steve:
My name is Bob... and it was my privilege to serve aboard Cobbler with your Dad... over the years countless memories have come to mind of those many people with whom I shared those times aboard Cobbler. Your dad holds a special place in that collection.

Your dad and I didn't share a close friendship. But it is impossible to work and live in such confined spaces without gaining insight to other's character. Your dad certainly made it easy for others to read his character and beliefs.

Many was the time... when he would speak openly of his belief in God to me... those words he spoke helped to draw me back to my Christian beliefs.

...Like Paul, I'm sure Ken declared, "for me to live is Christ, to die is gain." I am thankful that your father was a part of my life!

Robert...
USS Cobbler SS344

My mother reminded me last week that Dad will have been gone three years this October 26th. Even though he is not with us he still speaks and his words are about Jesus!


I love you and miss you Dad. I am looking forward to seeing you again.


1 comment:

  1. I try to live up to at least a 3rd of the legacy he left behind... I was so blessed to have known him, let alone be related to him.

    ReplyDelete