Monday, May 4, 2009

Cinco de Mayo

The fifth of May is the Mexican equivalent of our "Fourth of July." It is the day Mexico celebrates its independence and freedom. It, like our Fourth, is a big day of celebrations and parties. Families gather to share in meals and a time of festivities.
In light of their celebration of freedom and our "Fourth" coming soon, I was wondering how do you define freedom? What does freedom mean to you and is there a guarantee of that insures you enjoy that freedom?
This particular blog question, though not intentionally political, may give the appearance of being just that.
For me real freedom is not found in a flag, or a constitution, though I genuinely love my country and am grateful for the liberties it offers. Real freedom for me is found in my relationship with Jesus. It is a freedom that may is somewhat undefinable. Because of Jesus I am not bound to this world. I live in it, but it doesn't hold me. Its struggles are temporal. This will sound somewhat "pie in the skyish," my real home is heaven. I know that, God has provided me a freedom that goes beyond anything political or legal. The guarantee of that freedom is not based in what I do, but rather is guaranteed by the promises God has made. I define freedom as a relationship with Jesus.
So, how do define freedom?

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment